Father Peter Chiang
Bishop David Monroe
Bishop Richard Gagnon
Bishop Mark Hagemoen
Father Terry Bileski
Looking backward...and forward
about the time the citizens of Vancouver were becoming accustomed to the
war emergency "dim-out", those near the corner of Trafalgar
Street and 39th Avenue must have wondered what new activity had commenced
in the sombre little house at 5495 Trafalgar Street. These conditions
remained for several years as a result of the war time scarcity of building
materials and government building restrictions. Not until the fall of
1944 was permission received to commence the temporary church later to
become the basement of the present edifice.
was first offered in the basement church on August 19th 1945, as the nation
thanked God in the cessation of hostilities.
The Rev. Francis J. Nash was appointed pastor in 1952. During his tenure,
the corner property across from the church was purchased. This house was
later to become the temporary rectory permitting the demolition of the
original building and planning for the new church.
The Rev. Maurice R. Hanley, pastor from 1955-1959, directed the errection
of the beautiful permanent church on the enlarged foundations of the former
Timeline: Our Pastors
Maintained by: Kristofer Siy
© 2005 stjohnapostle.net. All rights reserved.